Monday, November 30, 2015

The Joy of Making

Little Joys Christmas Tree Skirt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

Every year in our home, we have the tradition of the Children's Christmas Tree. This little white tree, which belonged to my grandmother before she passed away, is decorated with colored lights and tiny wooden ornaments by my girls -- no grown-up help allowed. It's the one job that is especially their own, and they can hardly wait for the Thanksgiving leftovers to hit the fridge so that the Christmas decorating can officially begin.


In the past I've used a scarf as a last minute tree skirt, but this year I knew it was time to make something more permanent. I pulled out the rest of my Little Joys bundle by Elea Lutz for Penny Rose Fabrics, added a few La Creme Dots from Riley Blake Fabrics, and used a red and white scallop print by Bonnie and Camille for the binding. The wedge shapes were cut using a dresden ruler that I've had for ages, sewn together with a 1/2" seam between wedges.

Little Joys Christmas Tree Skirt by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

I was completely winging it with this project, and though I've had my share of sewing disasters while improvising, I'm happy to say that this one was a complete success. It reminds me again why I love to sew. What a joy it is to make something with your own hands, and to make it exactly the way you've imagined it to be. What a pleasure to share that handwork with the people you love, to see their eyes light up over the something special you made for them. But then to know that it will become a part of your family's legacy, that your children will take it out of storage someday and show it to their children and say, "When I was a little girl, your grandmother made this for us. This is part of our family. This is how we celebrate Christmas."

I can't think of anything better than that.

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect little skirt for the children's tree...perfect size, perfect colors. I love it! You must "wing it" more often. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winging it sometimes produces the best results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say what a joy it is to make something with your own hands, you expressed exactly what I have been feeling lately. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just adorable! You always make the best things!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet tradition to have! I love that little white tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cutest little tree certainly needs a cute little skirt! Don't you just love, these perfect little projects, that were just meant to be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Các phối quần áo là điều quan trọng đối với nhiều người. Quần đỏ nên mặc với áo màu gì cho nam giới cho hợp thời trang và đẹp nhất. Người gầy nên mặc áo sơ mi như thế nào để trong người đầy đặn hơn. Áo sơ mi trắng một loại thời trang được nhiều nam giới lựa chọn. Tuy nhiên, có thể bạn chưa biết rõ các phối áo sơ mi trắng như thế nào cho thích hợp. Vậy Áo sơ mi trắng mặc với quần màu gì.
    Tìm hiểu thêm một cách phối đồ thích hợp như Lưng dài chân ngắn nên mặc quần áo như thế nào để che đi những khuyết điểm. Trên thị trường hiện nay có rất nhiều loại nước xae vải, Vậy nên sử dụng nước xả quần áo nào thơm lâu nhất
    Đồng hồ là một loại phụ kiện thời trang được nhiều người lựa chọn, hãy cùng tìm hiểu qua một số thương hiệu đồng hồ nổi tiếng trên thế giới và hướng dẫn Cách phối đồ nữ với đồng hồ đeo tay đơn giản mà đẹp nhất.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...