Friday, February 15, 2013

EPP Case


I am so excited about the project I'm sharing with you today. This block of hexagons has stumped me for weeks, as I tried to decide what I wanted to do with it. Well, I finally figured it out. Meet my new English Paper Piecing Case.


The retro library case that I made last year never got around to carrying books -- it was too perfect for holding my EPP projects on the go. But since there's only one pocket on the inside, I usually found myself stuffing all my pieces into various Ziploc bags. Efficient, but not very pretty to look at. This little organizer has been a long time coming, but I am absolutely thrilled with it.


Take a look, folks. There's a pocket for everything...everything -- paper pieces, basted pieces, scissors, thread, seam ripper, and fabric! I even zig-zag-stitched a tiny pincushion to the center of the case; I like to have a landing spot for my needle when I'm working on a project in the evenings since needles that get set down in my room have a way of disappearing and then reappearing in someone's foot. I used black yarn dyed Essex linen for the body of the case and sewed down the hexagon block on top of the outside. The inside features my new prints from Shelburne Falls by Denyse Schmidt which I absolutely adore. I used another DS scrap for the flap and lined it with a fun Japanese print.


In the interest of full disclosure, I'm going to tell you that the slot for the seam ripper was a happy accident. When I sewed the final seam around the case, I went to try out the flap and found that it was way too long. After a moment of panic, I found that by doubling it over and stitching along the same outside seam line for the case, the extra fabric made a perfect loop that exactly fit my seam ripper. (Insert giant sigh of relief here.)

If you're interested in making one for yourself, the design for this case is very similar to the Navigator's Clutch tutorial I posted last summer which you can find here on my tutorials page. There was quite a bit of bulk on the edges with the extra pocket and the extra layer of hexagons that I added for this version, so I had to go slowly and be patient. It was so worth it, though. This little case is going to be well used and well loved.

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

29 comments:

  1. That is wonderful! What a pretty place to keep all your little pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for perfect little finishes, I love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This case is fabulous! And what a fantastic place for the seam ripper - love those serendipitous foibles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job on this...And your triple zip is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute case! I think your fabric tastes and mine are very close! I see lots of things that I have or would like to have in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect. You are going to smile every time you get this out to do a little EPP. It is fun to see lots of little bits of your stash...you have great taste :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Heidi!!! That is the perfect project for those hexies! That case would make me want to EPP all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute - and your happy accident/seam ripper holder is just wonderful. I made a travel case for my swap partner once, but never got around to one for myself! Might have to get to it someday...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Everything you need for hand sewing in a beautiful package! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fashionable way to carry along a hand project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so adorable! A nice case makes everything more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is just gorgeous! Love your fabrics!!

    Inspiring, too!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love your hexagon projects. Very, very special!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, a perfect case to hold your EPP, once again, I love the Essex linen! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful idea - functional and cute! I love DS fabrics too - they remind me of 30s fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and practical! You really thought of everything when making your cute kit - I especially like the pincushion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's totally perfect - I love it and is just what I need. I have a big bag for when I'm at home but a travel case would be really useful! It's gorgeous - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sooo jealous of all your Denyse Schmidt fabrics! Shelburne Fall AND KJR together?! What a cute, smart project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I may have to make one (or four) of these for the projects I'm taking in vacation this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's just gorgeous Heidi! Beautiful and so practical too! I so need one of these...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well isn't this just perfect?! I need to make one of hear as I seem to use the ziplock method most often :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it. It's beautiful and practical. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heidi, what kind of thread do you use when stitching the hexies together? I've been using Gutterman hand quilting thread but even with using Thread Heaven I've been having problems with the thread kinking up while I'm sewing hexies together :(

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...