Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pillows & Progress

scrappy square patchwork linen colorful pillow

Scraps are becoming almost an obsession with me ever since I participated in the Scrappy Stash QAL through Ellison Lane Quilts. I'm coming to love the look of a scrappy project and the personality that comes from having so many different fabrics involved in its creation. Yesterday's pouch was a gift, but I saved a set of two-inch squares to use for a little pillow of my own.


Two of the squares are actually half square triangle blocks made out of leftover tidbits from the potholder I made at the end of last month. I couldn't bear to throw them away, so I decided to try to do something with them. When I started working on this pillow, I figured that it would make a good home for them too.


The back is a Cool Britannia print that I picked up on sale at the Fat Quarter Shop during their Black Friday sale. I love map prints of any kind.


This little guy turned out to be about fifteen inches square. The grey linen border is quilted in echoing lines, each a half inch apart. I wanted to keep it simple so that the focus would be on the patchwork. It looks very much at home on our loveseat with the other pillow I made last month. I love seeing our collection grow...every pillow needs a buddy, right?


I spent the afternoon working on a quilt that I'm making for my two little nieces. I let my sister pick her favorite collection from my stash for this one, and she went for my fat quarters of Tula Pink's Prince Charming. I just adore the color spectrum in these prints. I've been desperately wanting to try my hand at Anna Maria Horner's feather pattern, so I decided to use it as a guide to make a larger version for this playtime quilt. It took a bit of testing here and there, but I think I'm going to be able to make this work. You can see my pieces in progress here on the family room floor. I'm hoping to have this finished in another day or two. Mostly I was excited that there was one feather left over which I plan to make into a table runner...

There are several more projects on the list, but they'll keep for now. Hope you're all having a productive week!

Linking up to Made by Me & WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

20 comments:

  1. How gorgeous is that cushion! Love!

    The feathers are looking lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beautiful cushion! Small scraps make so wonderful and special things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously don't know how you do it all. I am still working on my Holiday quilt along....(Of course my machine broke down so that has hindered me). I love all of your projects. Did you sew before you started quilting last year because your projects look like a pro! I am just super impressed. You are one of my favorite quilting bloggers out there!!! Also...what kind of machine do you have. Any suggestions for buying one. The one I had was just a basic basic WHITE brand from 20 years ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your time posting for all of us out here to be inspired by your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to leave my email address.....momfloyd4@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. I just love your pillows and your feather quilt looks like it is turning out great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that feather pattern! I am going to have to make that very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those feathers, I have always wanted to try those. And pillows too! I want so badly to make pillows for my home but I just never get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the concentric quilting on the gray pillow. You have been very busy with projects and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Love that pillow with the grey border.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pillows are gorgeous. I have been wanting to try out the Anna Maria feathers too. Yours are awesome with that fabric and will make a perfect quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so in love with your new pillow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I wanted to be a pillow when I grew up, it would be that one.
    Pillow perfection. Am swooning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I can't wait to try the feather pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pillow and your feathers are fabulous! I think prince charming was an excellent choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I crown you the queen of pillow making! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new pillow; it is so charming and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love both the cushions. I have some of the fabric in on the white one - you have used that fabric well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the new pillows. Wow and look at how small those HST blocks are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, those feathers. Gorgeous! And I'm with you on the scrap love. I've started cutting small pieces from my stash just to have those lovely scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these pillows! I love the fabrics you chose and the radiating border.
    Ana
    www.babbledabbledo.com

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...